Tuesday, January 03, 2006

holiday abundance


holiday abundance, originally uploaded by jasonmlott.

Melissa and I spent Christmas at her parent's house in Scottsdale. It was a great time, and I was amazed at how much they made me feel comfortable and part of the family. These people know how to do christmas right: look at all those presents. Jokes about people in Scottsdale being the ultimate consumers aside, their kindness and good spirits are infectious. Even for my sarcastic soul.

Scenario: During a brief lull in between dinner and dessert, Joe (the Dad) and I have a chance to talk:

ME: Um, Joe, I have a quick question for you that I meant to ask yesterday when we were playing golf.

JOSEPH: Yes?

ME: I was wondering if it would be okay to ask Melissa to marry me, we're good for each other and happy and in love and have fun...

JOSEPH: This is supposed to be a quick question?

Funny guy, that Joe. After making me almost choke on my wine with the above question, he gave his blessing.

Note to family members, many of whom seem to be confused by the above conversation: we are not (yet) engaged. I was simply asking for his permission to ask. I was under the impression that this tradition was a polite gesture and a sign of respect.

Did I mess up the order, or something? Both our Dads seem to think that we'd actually gotten engaged. Whoops...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home