Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Choosing a Line and Ignoring the Bad DJ


'Got back Monday from a magical weekend in Santa Fe visiting Bryan, Megan, and my niece Willow (whom I have discussed with much guilt in the past). I will talk about the trip later when I have more time...the aspens turning, wrecking my mountain bike and cracking a rib....WILLOW TAKING HER FIRST STEPS...but for now I want to quickly pass on a little bit of wisdom I picked up from Bryan on said bike trip. My brother is an insightful guy sometimes...not to mention hysterical and supportive. All traits I was reminded of while mountain biking in the hills above Santa Fe on a beautiful late summer afternoon.



When biking down a steep, rocky, rooty trail with a dropoffs on the left and trees on the right, one should not navigate by staring directly down at your front tire. You should not simply look straight down in front of you and focus on the dangers. The only way to truly survive the path, and perhaps do so with speed and grace, is too concentrate on what is downhill, far in front of you. Pick a line through the danger, and stick with it. Your body will automatically adjust to the rocks and roots directly below you...and you can breeze right though whatever obstacle is in your way.


At the first technical part of the decent, I was freaking out and thinking only of the myriad of ways that I could hurt myself. Sure 'nuff, I quickly flipped over my ride and banged myself up. My brother's advice was to pick your line and stick with it, and ignore the "bad DJ" in your head playing the songs that sing of danger. As I got more comfortable with these concepts, I began riding with much greater confidence...and in turn, speed. I was also enjoying myself much, much more.

The more I think about it, the more I think about how lately I've started to stare down at my front tire in life, and not looking far enough down the trail. Things are going unbelievably well in my life right now...and I am happy as I've ever been. I am blessed and fortunate in every aspect of my life. But I think all of us would do well by being reminded to keep looking downhill and ignoring the bad DJs. Once you choose a good line, it is important to stick to it and not be distracted...

That all being said, I am one sore motherfucker.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home